Settled in Athens since 1987, the MICHELIN Guide unveiled today its new selection for the Greek capital city, with new MICHELIN Stars, both green and culinary, as well as new gems for gourmets to discover.
“As the cradle of Western civilization, Athens is experiencing a full-fledged gastronomic renaissance thanks to talented chefs who are coming to the capital to launch their restaurant. Some of them are from the Greek islands and have a thirst for revival in Athens, while others are going back to their roots after experiencing Northern Europe, but all of them are passionate professionals who have it at heart to shine a light on the City of the Violet Crown‘s culinary scene.” says Gwendal Poullennec, International Director of the MICHELIN Guides.
“Simultaneously, these chefs are increasingly aware of food sustainability, and highlight the importance of sourcing local products, sometimes from their own garden and their own production.”
The 2022 selection for the Athens MICHELIN Guide sees one restaurant receiving Two MICHELIN Stars as well as a Green Star: Delta stands out with its breathtaking avant-garde esthetics, at the heart of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center. Chefs George Papazacharias and Thanos Feskos, who both boast experience in Northern countries, offer gastronomic suggestions that combine Scandinavian concepts and culinary echniques with local products, with the common theme being environmental sustainability.
Two new restaurants have received One MICHELIN Star:
Soil, which is located in the Pangrati district and offers a charming terrace, harbors the cuisine of Chefs Tasos Mantis and Alexandros Mouridis. The name Soil” is a clear indication of the philosophy behind the establishment, which aims to be close to its territory, mindful of food sustainability and a fervent supporter of the “Farm to table” approach; so it comes as no surprise that they produce their own vegetables in their Alepochori vegetable garden, and that the restaurant has also received a MICHELIN Green Star.
The Zillers is without a doubt a highly unique restaurant, since it is located on the rooftop of the Zillers Boutique Hotel, meaning guests can enjoy a breathtaking view of the Acropolis and the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Annunciation. With its flexible offer, one can enjoy a light, casual lunch or a fullfledged gastronomic dinner from Chef Pavlos Kiriakis, who gives his own take on local traditions with creative tasting menus.
Restaurants Botrini's, CTC, Hytra, Pelagos and Varoulko Seaside, which had all already received a MICHELIN Star last year, have reaffirmed their level of gastronomy and retain the honor this year, along with Bib Gourmand recipients Cerdo Negro 1985, Nolan and Oikeîo, of which we once again acknowledge the focus on good value for money.
4 restaurants are making an entrance in the 2022 selection of the Athens MICHELIN Guide.
· At Hervé’s, which takes its name from Chef-owner Hervé Pronzato, the bar is located opposite the kitchen, meaning you can watch the live action while you enjoy your meal. The culinary offer focuses on a single tasting menu which includes 15 courses and is based on Greek traditions combined with cosmopolitan inspirations (from France, Asia, Latin
· Linou Soumpasis k sia stands out through its esthetics, with the restaurant being located in a former candle craft shop (some products are still sold), in the lively district of Psyri. It has a casual bistro vibe where you can enjoy simple, authentic Greek cuisine, with a few surprising modern touches and a strong commitment towards using organic products.
· Merceri, a classic, authentic bistro, serves the cuisine of Maria Dioudi and Melina Chomata, two female Chefs who met while they were working in luxury hotels in Santorini. Their cuisine, which is modern and features international influences, pays tribute to Greek recipes and is served in an informal manner at lunch time, and in a more ambitious fashion at dinner time, with a near-gastronomic approach.
· At VERi TABLE, a French-style bistro where you will be welcomed by a cheerful couple, you will find suggestions that pay tribute to Provençal cuisine; Chef-owner Alain Parodi has worked in a number of prestigious restaurants in the Provence region. Along with the great standards, you will find weekly recommendations as well as made-to-measure menus.
The 2022 selection of the Athens MICHELIN Guide at a glance:
27 restaurants selected including
- 1 Two MICHELIN Stars restaurant
- 8 One MICHELIN Star restaurants
- 3 Bib Gourmand restaurants